My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Quaker Blood

It appears that the Burgess clan were solidly Quaker from the start. I do not know if Samuel Burgess, the first Burgess in our line to come to America, was born a Quaker or converted. If Samuel's father was a Quaker he was probably converted after hearing George Fox, the founder of the movement. From there on, the family was Quaker, and only married Quakers (about 90% sure), until WH Burgess's daughter married a Tinker, who I do not believe was Quaker (again only 90%).

I have been asked if the Burgess family was religious. The answer is yes. That said, Quakers did not then, and do not now, believe much of what passes for Bible Belt religion. I will post information on Quakers from time to time but I urge you, if you are one of this family line, to do your own research on Quaker belief and practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home